ou did a fresh Linux installation. It’s fast, snappy, and secure. However, once you decided to use Linux, you made the decision to use open-source alternatives for many solutions. this suggests you’re not curious about MS Office and are trying to find MS Office alternatives for Linux.
You are not alone! Also, you’re bound by the very fact that MS Office isn’t natively supported by Linux OS . to put in it, you would like to use virtualization solutions including CrossOver, Wine, and Virtual Machine.
Best Microsoft Office Alternatives For Linux
Even though it’s possible to install MS Office, there’s much to desire for native support. as an example, you’ll not get native support, which suggests that there’ll be a slow response or action. Moreover, you’ll also end up getting errors, which isn’t an excellent thing when performing on your important project. The good thing with Linux is that it offers alternatives that have equal or better feature-set. within the case of MS Office, you’ll easily get a dozen of options. And, that’s where we are available. to assist you to discover the simplest MS alternative, we’ll list five of them for your reference.
LibreOffice is one of the foremost popular office solutions out there. In fact, it’s the foremost popular alternative when it involves MS Office. LibreOffice isn’t a replacement project. It started way back in 2011 where it forked the OpenOffice.org alternative then began to evolve from there.
LibreOffice may be a comprehensive Office solution, and therefore the main reason behind it’s its collaborative development process. This way, it can engage developers from all across the planet. With excellent talent performing on the project, you’ll access the simplest Office solution.
As LibreOffice may be a suite, it comes with many applications. The key application includes Writer, Impress, Draw, Calc, Base, and Math. just in case you’re confused, the author is that the equivalent of the Word application. The Calc is that the spreadsheet equivalent where you’ll work on plenty of data and arrange and work on them using built-in integrations and multi-user support. The Draw solution allows you to create seamless flowcharts.
With Impress, you’ll easily create slides that are presentable, including animation, drawings, bullet points, then on! The last two solutions include Math and Base, which allows you to work with formulas and database systems.
The key features that you simply can expect from LibreOffice include the following:
* Supports all types of documents
* It offers an excellent thanks to organizing your documents with a structured approach.
* Offers extensions support in order that you’ll expand its capabilities
* It comes freed from cost!
* Builds on top of OpenOffice.org, which is a superb Office suite
* Works great for businesses
Their latest release offers better performance and compatibility. They even have made many usability improvements which will benefit you as a user.
As it is an open-source project, you’ll also become a part of the project. This also means LibreOffice features a friendly community, and you’ll easily find help if you’re cursed with some problem.
The Pros of LibreOffice are often summarized as below:
* Excellent community
* Open source and liberal to use
* Works well with MS Office file format
* Constantly updated
* Easy to put in and configure
Our next candidate within the best Microsoft Word open-source alternative is Apache Open Office. it’s developed by Sun Microsystems in 2010 when Oracle Organization acquired it. However, Oracle didn’t just like the project that much. So, they fired the OpenOffice.org staff and made the project format. However, there was an enormous twist, considering that its ASCII text file licensing is Apache Software Foundations. And that’s where the Apache OpenOffice project started.
Right now, Apache OpenOffice is an open-source project where you get access to different office software suite, including data processing, Presentations, Spreadsheets, Graphics, and Database.
The key features of Apache OpenOffice include:
* it’s an excellent software developed over the past twenty years. this suggests you’ll find a uniform feature-set and user experience built over the year.
* Apache OpenOffice is an open community solution. this suggests that anyone can contribute thereto. The approach also bugs are caught and glued frequently alongside new features are added also.
* Apache OpenOffice is straightforward to use. If you’ve got used any Word document solution or suite, you’ll find OpenOffice easy to use. Even with none old Office suite experience, OpenOffice offers a user-friendly approach where anyone can start. It also comes with multiple language support making it easy for local people to use it in their work.
* OpenOffice is free software, which suggests you are doing not need to pay anything to use it.
Overall, OpenOffice offers an honest amount of pros, which may be summarized as below:
* liberal to use
* Open source and licensed under Apache 2.0.
* Excellent feature-set
* Great community
* Worldwide language support
WPS Office may be a complete Office suite that you simply can use on many devices. it’s a cross-platform solution available for MAC, PC, iOS, Web, and Linux. Linux’s version is additionally natively supported, which suggests that you simply don’t need to worry about performance or bug issues.
So, what makes WPS Office a worthy alternative to MS Office? one among the primary things that make it enticing is its high compatibility with existing Microsoft Office formats. It also supports Adobe PDF and Google Docs. Apart from that, it’s lightweight, and it should work on not-so-powerful machines. to make sure that it works with lightweight Linux distros, it comes with an ultra-small installation package. Also, it comes with 8 languages support.
Like the other free offering discussed here, WPS Office is additionally updated frequently. However, one thing makes it different from the opposite offerings, i.e., it’s not open source. Yes, it’s a closed-source solution. It costs nothing to use, making it a transparent alternative to MS Office for Linux.
The key features of WPS Office include:
* It comes with an entire office site.
* Compatible with Microsoft Office Suite
* It supports multi-platform, making it an excellent pick if you’re employed from different devices.
* Offers Collaboration tools
* Supports Adobe PDF
* It comes with Data recovery.
* Easy to use
If you’re trying to find an MS Office alternative for your business, then the OnlyOffice solution could be for you. The OnlyOffice workspace comes with an honest collection of productive apps and solutions which will assist you to run your entire business without the necessity to believe external services or solutions. With OnlyOffice, you get access to Docs, Mail, Group, Private Room, and Talk. In Docs, you get to use presentations, spreadsheets, and documents. The Group consists of more business-related solutions, including CRM, DMS, Mail, Projects, Calendar, Community, then on! Also, you’ll try the answer on the cloud or, in fact, deploy it on your own server.
The key features offered by OnlyOffice include the following:
* Ability to make and manage complex documents, presentations, and spreadsheets.
* It is often deployed on the cloud or another server.
* Works well with Linux OS
* It offers everything you would like to grow your business.
* It comes with an easy-to-use email management solution.
The last alternative that we are getting to discuss is Calligra Suite. Calligra Suite(previously referred to as KOffice) started its journey 15 years ago! Yes, it’s an old project that also holds value when offering features against MS Office’s likes.
It comes pre-loaded with KDE based Linux distros. it’s supported Qt, making it a superb option for Linux-based KDE distros. However, it can run well with other distros also.
Calligra Suite comes with an honest collection of programs including Words of rich documents with images, tables, then on — Sheets to figure with spreadsheets — Kexi for database creation, Karbon for logos, illustrations, then on — Stage for creating presentations, and Plan for effective project planning.
Key features worth mentioning
* it’s a light-weight solution.
* Offers access to a good suite of solutions
* supported QT